Thursday, February 12, 2009

class 2/11/09

It was interesting and crazy how different the translations of the first speech of Antigone are. Personally i liked the translation by Fagle best, it has the best details and read the smoothest. Hyane was too loose and open ended for me, Watling was traditionald and stuffy, and Green was too short and sparce on the details. Fagle was defenitly the best translation, it remineded me of the Odyssey. One of my favorite lines in Angtigone is when she is talking is Ismene, "Ismene, dear heart, my true sister." I think that line is so beautifully put and even thought it states a fact it is writting in a beautiful way. When Oedipus is asking who his family is and where he comes from it reminds me of the little kid book "Are you my mother." Where the little bird is asking all the other species if they are his mother. I picture Oedipus wandering around Thebes and the mountains calling to women, "Lady, Are you my mother?" But my ultimate favorite line of Antigone is "He has no right to keep me from my own." When Antigone is stating her willingness to defy Creon and die for his transgression, i find it totally consuming. Her passion and conviction to save her brother is profound and truly endearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment